Monday, November 2, 2015

I Hate Poetry; That Being Said, Have This

Acquainted with the Light

Ryken Kreps

A retelling of Frost's "Acquainted with the Night"

I have been one acquainted with the Light.
I have walked out in trust--- and back in trust.
I have outwalked the bleakest sinful night.

I have looked forwards to my God, the Just.
I have passed by the devil on his beat
And dropped my eyes, righteously in disgust.

I have stood still and stopped the sound of feet
When finally I hear my Father sing
A loving song my heart shall e'er repeat.

So that He may lift me on Eagle's wing;
And further still to an unearthly height,
Finally, up to Heaven He will bring

My spirit, when the time is surely right.
I have been one acquainted with the Light.

Echoes of Him

Ryken Kreps

An original

The knowledge of the shepherd
Is a wondrous thing
The love of the man
As he gives her the ring

The wisdom of the scholar
When he studies the Word
The persistence of the cowboy
As he gathers the herd

The peace of the martyr
In the presence of persecution
The mercy of the king
Withholding retribution

The compassion of the mother
When the child stumbles
The courage of the mariner
When the storm clouds rumble

The forgiveness of the prisoner
Robbed of a full-lived life
The faithfulness of the husband
To the adulterous wife

All these things
Which we admire
Just echoes of Him
Made by a faithful choir



6 comments:

  1. Since you hate poetry, I'll say awesome "un-poems," Ryken! They're magnificently God-honoring, and nothing brings significance to a poem like focusing it on Jesus!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry I just saw this! Thanks!

      Delete
    2. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. I love it, there is a deepness to each similie, awesome examples of love and faith. Great work.

    ReplyDelete