Sunday, October 11, 2015

Did Jesus Claim to be God?

Some people pose the idea that "Jesus never claimed to be God."
Yeah, and I never claimed my name was Ryken.

Check out John 10:28-33, from BibleGateway.com

28 I give them eternal life, and they shall never perish; no one will snatch them out of my hand. 29 My Father, who has given them to me, is greater than all[c];no one can snatch them out of my Father’s hand. 30 I and the Father are one.”
31 Again his Jewish opponents picked up stones to stone him, 32 but Jesus said to them, “I have shown you many good works from the Father. For which of these do you stone me?”
33 “We are not stoning you for any good work,” they replied, “but for blasphemy, because you, a mere man, claim to be God.”
1st, Jesus claims to give eternal life. Then, He says that God is His father. THEN He goes so far as to say, "I and the Father are one." He's outright saying He is one with God. And the Pharisees (with whom he is speaking) clearly acknowledge this.
Jesus' claims to be divine were the reason He was crucified. He was killed for claiming that He was the Son of God.
"I am the way, the truth, and the life."
"I am the vine"
"I am the gate"
"I am the the light of the world"
"Before Abraham was born, I am"
In 1st century Jewish culture, the only people who would say things like that are people who would be insane enough to be killed for blasphemy in order to get some attention, those that are actually mentally deluded, or those that are actually God. There was no misconception about what Jesus was claiming to be. Your average rabbi didn't go around saying, "Before Abraham was born, I am". That's a sign of either lunacy or Lordship.

Song of the Day: This Is What You Do - Bethel Music

No comments:

Post a Comment