Sunday, April 20, 2014

Politics'n'stuff

First of all, you should watch this music video by Gungor.
"God is not a White Man" by Gungor

One of my favorite lines in the song is "God does not belong to Republicans". It really seems ridiculous to me when Christians act like the government and democrats are the root of all evil or something. You know what? You've done things just as bad as any person in the government, and complaining about what they've done to your friends who won't offer up a different opinion isn't going to fix anything. Hating on the government and not accepting the fact that they could possibly do something right won't help either.

Sometimes I think Christians act like the Great Commission was:
"Therefore go and make disciples of all nations, baptizing them in the name of the Father and of the Son and of the Holy Spirit, 20 and teaching them to obey everything I have commanded you. Oh, and vote Republican, make sure that everyone knows Democrats are of the Devil, and do your best to make everything right through politics, because while I was here on Earth I made sure to make the law the focus of my efforts."


So, like I urged in "Christianizing America", lets focus on loving those around us, and remembering that Jesus wasn't here to save a state, or a government, or a nation. He was here to save us and the people around us. I'm pretty convinced that trying to push laws and stuff through Congress isn't going to save anyone. Laws don't change hearts; love does.

1 comment: