Monday, March 24, 2014

A Short Story from My Week

I just want to share a short story from my week. This Friday, the Acquire the Fire worship band came to play at our school. It lasted about 45 minutes, and was good and deep and nice and all that.

During the worship, I was on the right edge of the middle section of the auditorium in about the fifth row or so. About 20 minutes in, I look around. I see a person a few rows up on the left edge of the right section, just across the aisle, sitting down. I don't know why he's sitting (most people were standing), but he has his head bowed and his hands clasped, in a way that could be praying or just sitting and resting.

I know him decently well, from being in both the fall drama and spring musical with him. I know he's had some serious struggles recently, and I've been praying for him for a while. People around him didn't seem to be noticing what he was doing that much, and I'm guessing they just assumed he wanted to sit. I felt a burning sensation; I felt like if I didn't go down to him right then, I would feel a horrible sense of guilt for days. I didn't even know why; I just knew that I had to go pray with him. So I get out of my row, moving past a couple of people, and walk down to him. I kneel down next to him and ask, "Can I pray for you?"  (Side note: He was a senior). 

He didn't see me coming or anything, and I knew he wasn't expecting it at all. I didn't know how he'd react; but he looked at me a with a slight, maybe surprised smile and said "Sure". At that moment, I realized something. I had no idea what the heck I was going to say. I had no idea why I was praying for him. But I put my hands on him and said something like, "God, I don't know why you called me down to pray with him, but I know you did. I pray that whatever it is you want done in his heart would be done today." Then another sentence or something. Nothing too deep, or personal. No revelation of what to say. Just a simple, short prayer.

I think it meant something to him, though. I still don't know what it was that I prayed for, but I think the fact that I went down and prayed for him meant way more than the words I spoke. I thank God that He called me down to pray for him, because it was huge for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment